Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I remember my mom always crying at this scene. It is ridiculously sad and will forever make me weep too.



A few more things that make me think of my mom:

So much music makes me think of her, but one of the biggies was Roy Orbison. My mom will get a song in her head and sing the same line over and over again as she moves through the house or makes dinner. Of course, I now do this too.



One of my favorite things about my mom is her crazy hysterical laugh. I remember it most when we would sit together and watch movies; movies like It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World or The Blues Brothers or Nuns on the Run or The Producers.



And of course, I think of the Swiss yodeling records my mom would play, usually on holidays or when we were going to have people over to dinner.



My mom always put up with a lot of crap from us kids - we loved to tease her - like when on road trips, always handing her our trash and calling her "trash lady" or going on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland and after my sister and I claimed Indiana and Marion for ourselves telling her she had to be Sallah - she still gets upset when we call her Sallah and of course, it still amuses us to do so. We still might pick on her, but I want to think it's only because we do feel so safe with her and we know she has a sense of humor and that our little mommy will still love us.

My mom has sacrificed a lot for us kids, for me, and I appreciate all she's done. I loved my childhood. A lot of my posts on this blog, actually, are me walking down memory lane and that is because I loved my childhood. My mom made me feel safe, loved, respected, listened to and happy. I love you, Mom.

1 comment:

Ben and Darci said...

Your mom really is great! I always felt pampered by her. Remember how scary my mom was? She's not scary any more, but back then...yikes!!!