Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Know You By Heart

Wow, I think this is one of the prettiest songs ever. I am a recent discoverer of Eva Cassidy. Great stuff.



You left in Autumn
The leaves were turning
I walked down roads of orange and gold.
I saw your sweet smile
I heard your laughter
You're still here beside me every day.

‘Cause I know you by heart,
‘Cause I know you by heart.


I've been considering the word bittersweet. Feeling that bittersweetness is harder really than just feeling sad. Strange how one thing, one act, one conversation, one person can create such a duality of emotion. Confusing to feel happiness and richness and uplifted and at the same time feel so blue and hurt. Bittersweet. And yet, it's hard not to take that strong dose of bitterness in order to experience that lovely sweetness. But with time the melancholy afterglow dissipates and life moves on....until the next time....

In the midst of some of these feelings, I tried to find some poetic expression of these feelings. Found some specific lines that spoke to me:

I will complain, yet praise;
I will bewail, approve;
And all my sour-sweet days
I will lament and love.
-George Herbert

Twas pretty, though plague,
To see him every hour


I know I love in vain, strive against hope;
Yet in this captious and intenible sieve
I still pour in the waters of my love
And lack not to lose still. Thus, Indian-like,
Religious in mine error, I adore
The sun that looks upon his worshipper
But knows of him no more.

O, then give pity
To her whose state is such that cannot choose
But lend and give where she is sure to lose;
That seeks not to find that her search implies,
But, riddle-like, lives sweetly where she dies.
-W. Shakes.All's Well That Ends Well

That time was like never, and like always.


Why will the whole of love come on me suddenly
when I am sad and feel you are far away?
-Naruda

No comments: