Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy



The Monkees were a huge part of my childhood. My sisters and I spent hours watching the series, re-watching on the VHS tapes we recorded, listening to the music and just generally loving them. I was sad to learn that Davy Jones died today at the age of 66. I remember watching the very first episode on TV20 in the afternoon with my sisters and instantly thinking that Davy was so cute. We saw them in concert for the first time in 1987, I believe, and then years later on another concert tour we met them at a meet and great at which Davy kissed me on the cheek. I couldn't help thinking of all the screaming teen fans in the '60's who would have died for the pleasure.

Oh, Davy, always falling in love, with the stars in his eyes, always the brunt of short jokes ("I am standing up!"), with the smooth, little British voice, thanks for the fun childhood, rest in peace.

No comments: