Friday, July 6, 2007

Pic Picks

Everyone in our country should go see Sicko. Now, I know some people may have issues with Michael Moore, but whether or not you are a fan of his personal opinions, you need to see Sicko. It is funny, sad, informative and inspiring. I feel like people often want to hide behind the growing political divide in this country and claim that movies like Sicko or Inconvenient Truth are just "liberal mumbo-jumbo", but issues like health care and the environment are for all of us and Sicko is not only a very important film, but also highly entertaining. I laughed, I cried, well, you know. And one of the Cuban doctors is hubba, hubba.

My second recommendation is Ratatouille. It's pretty perfect - funny, heartfelt, smart. I went and saw it at the El Capitan theatre in Hollywood which is usually rad because they deck out the theatre and have some huge spectacle on stage before the movie. For example, before The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe there were set and costume pieces all over, a light show and then snow fell on the audience, it was magical. The show before Ratatouille consisted of za-za musical theatre rejects performing tween hip-hop of Disney songs while beloved Disney characters like Micky, Winnie the Pooh, and that Rosie O'Donnell Gorilla from Tarzan(?) danced, banged on pots and pans and chanted "cookin' in the kitchen, cookin' in the kitchen". I think my jaw was stuck open for the entire, excruciating Disney On Ice, minus the Ice performance. Good thing the movie was so rad, thanks, Pixar.

No comments: