Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oscars


I thought the Oscars were classy this year. I couldn't get over how gorgeous the stage was - the crystal curtain with the colored lights was beautiful. I loved the very beginning when the band was on the stage and the lit crystal was revealed - it was an effective throw back to old Hollywood. I thought Hugh Jackman was refreshing. I like when comedians host sometimes, but I thought it was a good year to forgo the snarky comments and just have a more positive, classy show. I won't go into all my thoughts on the Oscars, because who cares, really? I will say I loved how the actor awards were presented - a great idea to have past winners take the time to highlight the nominees. It made it feel like each nominee was really appreciated, not just the winner. I was thrilled for Kate Winslet as she is one of my favorite actors. We could probably pass on some of the montages - like the montage to action films, comedies etc. and the random "The Musical is Back!" number, but on the whole I thought it was a fun show. And I did pretty well on my ballot, could have done better, but did all right (17 out of 24). I also did well on seeing most of the big nominees - we didn't get to The Visitor in time, we'll watch it this week, didn't see The Changeling, scared to watch Angelina taker herself too seriously, also didn't see Frozen River, but other than that - I was well-viewed.

"Please don’t get baffled by the size of the picture, actually the Oscar statuette sits in the eye of a needle. Yes… a needle! This photograph was shot with a camera attached to a microscope; a 22 carat gold miniature Oscar sculpture carved by Willard Wigan, in Birmingham, using a shard of diamond working 16 hours a day for six weeks. "

3 comments:

Ms. Read said...

I agree with stage and Jackman. Both classy. Especially liked Jackman not making it a political arena - this is the MOVIES people.
You did one better. I have yet to see, "The Wrestler", "Vicky ..Barcelona", "Frozen River" and "Rachel Getting Married." I will see Wrestler and Frozen River - may forget the other two

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you? I was looking through your blog and found it interesting and wanted to leave you a comment.

I have an invitation for you to come and visit my art blog here in San Diego Southern California. I started this blog in an attempt at finding a creative way to find new friends, and explore my artistic skills through bloging.

I have since found many new friends from an international audience. I hope you will stop by and enjoy the various labels and music videos I design for my art blog. See you soon :)

emily jeanne said...

I agree with you on the part about how the awards were presented by past winners, and in some cases, truly friends of the people of whom they presented. I thought it made it really personal and more heart felt tributes to them as actors. I loved the sets as well, I like that it felt like the set of a musical with all the neat drop down sets. I thought it was more REAL than the overly cheesy, 20 foot tall oscar statues or whatever they seem to have in the past. and Yes, I loved Hugh Jackman and his song and dance bit!