Friday, August 31, 2007

Baby Daddy

I have my lunch break at noon and I often eat my lunch and watch t.v. in the break room at my job. We have a limited amount of channels so I go back and forth from All My Children (the soap of my youth), the news and Maury and I just have to say that I am so tickled by The Maury Show, it is so wonderfully absurd. Almost every time I tune in the topic is Who is the Father? It really is mind boggling how many ladies out there don't know who the father of their child is - one of the girls on today was making her 13th appearance on Maury to have another guy tested for paternity - 13!!! We're talking about 13 dudes within, what, a week or so when she got pregnant. I truly can't conceive of that (no pun intended).

As with daytime talk shows there is a plethora of swear words beeped out - mostly from the guests, but I did notice today that sometimes during moments in the show when really nothing too dramatic is happening there are still beeps happening from people in the audience, who are just randomly swearing.

What has amused me most with watching these paternity shows, however, is when the woman comes on and she is so confident that the guy is the father, she swears up and down, saying her baby looks exactly like the guy, there is no doubt in her mind and then the tests come back and he is not the father. I've seen this a few times now and my favorite moment is when the girl apologizes to the guy. It is so weird. I saw a lady the other day, where there was such a huge, dramatic build up, she was goin' crazy about how the low-life guy needs to accept responsibility, how she's 110% sure, blah blah blah and he was fighting back, all sorts of yelling, beeps galore and then he wasn't the father and she just went up to him and said "Sorry about that", shook his hand, he said "no hard feelings", gave her a little hug and they walked away. What?!? It's so strange. I love it. Just a little "my bad" and it's on to the next paternity test. Brilliant.

No comments: