Monday, September 29, 2008

Mom & Pop

Last night I had what was probably the worst nightmare of my life. I remember having scary nightmares as a kid and waking up terrified and wishing it wasn't dark, but they usually involved monsters or other fantastical objects, adult nightmares are just so much worse. Without going into too much detail, I had a dream that my mom basically had alzheimers and couldn't remember anything, I was trying to get through to her, but it was just truly the worst feeling ever, there was nothing I could do, to talk to her and realize that her mind was gone, that she could no longer function on her own - I can't think of anything worse. Then, in the dream, I was talking to my dad about it and he started weeping. We were both crying together and then I woke up.
I know people really do have to deal with watching their parents and loved ones have these problems. I hope and pray that my parents will stay strong and healthy, as they are now. As I lay in bed trying to shake these awful images, I missed my parents so very much. I know I take them for granted. I feel I have a good relationship with them at this point in life, but I still get bratty and impatient at times, so maybe this will just serve as a good reminder to appreciate them in my life more fully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the nightmare. I agree- adult nightmares are incomprehensibly disturbing.

As silly as this sounds, a half cup of milk and Whit giving you a nice foot massage & cuddle before bed may keep the nightmares away.