Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm Back

Hoorah! We tapped into the internet thanks to a neighbor so we are in business at my parents' house.
I wanted to talk a little bit about teaching.
So I'm not going to lie, I was dreading teaching. I just got stressed out thinking about having to entertain a bunch of teens for the Summer, but it's been going pretty well. We're teaching at the University of Utah's Theatre School for Youth. I have my home room class which meets twice a day, I teach two Dialects classes and a class called Acting Methods(?). My home room class consists of ten 12 & 13 year olds. We're writing a play right now to perform at the end of the session. It should be pretty cute (I hope). Acting Methods was weird to me - I got assigned this class and I had no idea what to do with it - it's just such a general term, so I started teaching them Uta Hagen exercises, I have no idea if they are liking that class, but whatev'. I love teaching dialects. I don't feel like I'm particularly qualified to teach this, aside from the one dialects class I had in college, I don't have a great amount of knowledge, but I sure do enjoy it. This week we worked on a British dialect (RP) and it is fun to try to get the kids to stick their little lips out to make the correct sounds. It has reinforced the fact that I really love speech/language/dialect work - maybe I will finally fulfill my dream to go to Central School of Speech & Drama in London and get a degree in this so I can be a dialect/speech coach.
As extremely tired as I am from teaching, it has been good for me to review a lot of acting information - it is good timing to remind myself of the basics and the lessons I learned in the Actor Training Program as I am working on 12th Night.
By the way, rehearsal tonight was incredible. We worked on an Orsino/Viola scene which is just so beautiful. I adore working with Creighton James - I love this show, I feel so lucky.
Okay. I'm going to sleep.

2 comments:

Kate said...

how fun to teach...i have heard you often say that you wanted to do dialect, that is so awesome that you are doing a part of it now. And that it is reinforcing the desire...love it!

Ben and Darci said...

Wow, there's a lot to acting that I don't have a clue about! I can't wait to see you in this play. Remind me when it is so I can make sure we are there!