Friday, December 5, 2008

So she poured out the liquid music of her voice to quench the thirst of his spirit.

Tonight I've been youtubin' some of my favorite singers and just generally reveling in some of my favorite female musicians. I guess I just wish I could have any one of their voices. I'm posting below a clip of Diana Krall. I was blown away from the first time I heard her open her mouth at a concert I saw in high school before anyone even knew her name and I still love that smoothe as honey voice. This clip is her performing another great lady, Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" - it makes me want to cry - it's perfect. (The song also always reminds me of Truly Madly Deeply where my favorite actress, Juliet Stevenson sings a bit of the song with Alan Rickman - that's really neither here nor there, it's just where I first heard the song):



Some of my other favorite voices:
Barbra Streisand: power and passion
Lea Salonga: pure (I want to have that voice!)
K.D. Lang: crazy rad quality (check out the album "Drag")
Linda Ronstadt: one of my favorite songs of all time, "Blue Bayou"
Allison Krauss: sweet, unique sound
Patsy Cline: so many good songs
Heart: my karaoke go to
Joni Mitchell: already mentioned above, but must say "River" is another of my all time favorites.
Norah Jones: some romantic songs there.

All right, enough of this. Thanks, Musicians, for makin' life rad.

1 comment:

anseliz said...

Awesome list. Some truly classic and diverse voices there. Hmmm, I may just have to make you a CD of a few voices I've been introduced to over the last few years that I'm in love with. Hmmm....my list is forming.