Friday, June 6, 2008

Costanza!

Do you remember the Seinfeld episode where George remains at his job although they want to fire him, because he has a contract and he wants to make his money while doing the bare minimum - so even when they lock him out of his office, he crawls in through a vent and just won't leave? I'm George right now. I gave my notice for my last day of work to be June 30th (now it's the 27th) - but they hired my replacement a week ago. I trained her, I've shown her everything there is to show. She's at my desk, doing my job now and I am still here at work with NOTHING to do. I've helped all the people I could help, filed all the filing there was to file, so I decided to just set up camp at an unused cubicle. I cleaned off the desk and here I sit. I mean, I can't really complain (more than I have) because I'm getting paid, and I want to get paid, but this is crazy - I'm getting paid for literally nothing. I did lightly suggest that they just pay me through the month and let me leave early, since it wasn't my fault that they hired my replacement so early, but I guess they feel better about me actually occupying space in the office in order to earn my money - I guess I'm generating warmth as my contribution to the company. And I have THREE more weeks to go! Oi.

2 comments:

Ben and Darci said...

Now THAT is hilarious! Can you bring a book to read? You should clean baseboards or something. That sounds so awkward and boring. Hope it doesn't really go on like this for three more weeks. Still, it's exciting that you are almost done!

brighton quinn said...

Hang on little tomato! You can do it! Maybe you can make cards out of construction paper for everyone in the office before you leave... besides reading a book that's the ebst advice I got!