Monday, June 9, 2008

Slings and Arrows


On Sunday I watched the final episode of the brilliant Canadian series, Slings and Arrows (on from 2003-2006). I had seen bits and pieces of it in the past, but a few months ago they started showing it on IFC from season 1, episode 1, so I started the journey and boy did I love it. It quickly became one of my all time favorite shows. I mean, obviously, it's a show about a Shakespeare festival - of course I loved it. But it really was better than I could have anticipated. It was one of those great shows that can't be defined - a perfect blend of comedy and drama. It's beautiful writing and a great cast of Canadian actors. Mark McKinney of Kids in the Hall fame wrote this show and plays the managing director of the festival - he is so crazy funny. Paul Gross plays the central character of the show, Geoffrey Tennant, and I just love him - I'd never seen this actor before, but I am now a big fan. I'm sad it's over, but like so many of the best television shows (The Office, really any of the Brit. shows) it told the story it wanted to tell and ended, rather than dragging it out season after season. I was endlessly inspired watching Slings and Arrows, I'm glad I gave it a shot.

No comments: