Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Just another boring post about something I like.


Last night I was watching Shawshank Redemption for the umpteenth time and it still deeply moved me. I think it is one of the greatest scripts of all time. The movie is perfect, really. Definitely in my top three movies, I'd say. When Andy plays the Mozart duet over the prison's loudspeaker, I still hold my breath along with the prisoners. When Andy is missing from his cell and the Warden rips the poster off the wall revealing the huge hole, I still squeal with excitement. When Red travels on the bus towards Andy and utters the final words, "I hope", my tears still swell. And there is nothing better than Andy standing in the rain with his arms spread open experiencing freedom. It's just the best. I first saw this movie on a small t.v. screen in a van as I travelled home from Oregon with a group of girlfriends - I remember stopping at a gas station after the movie ended, just sobbing. I introduced this movie to my parents who also love it. My dad will sometimes mention it ("What a movie!"), however, I don't think he's ever said the title right, it's always Shawshang...Sheshaw... or some variation thereof. All I can say is, if you haven't seen it or if it's been a while, watch it, it is everything great about story telling and film making.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah thats in my top 3 films too. I love the looks on all their faces as they gaze into the hole Andy had made in his cell wall. I love the beer on the roof scene, the part where Red carves "So woz Red" next to Brooks's, the last parole hearing, The part where Red sits and reads the letter by the tree, gets on the bus...oh all of it. Seen it sooooo many times.
Andy Dufresne - who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side.