Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year, New Hertfords

What a nice start to the new year. I loved the 4 1/2 day weekend. It was so nice to clean my house, do some good grocery shopping, cook, watch movies, sleep and spend time with Whitby. I really could get used to that.

One of my stocking stuffers this year was the book Skinny Bitch. I had been curious for a while, so on the drive home from Utah I read most of it and soon thereafter finished it. It's a book that once you read, you feel like you can't go back to your old habits. They lay out very clearly the foods that are bad for you and the foods that are good for you. Whit and I in this new year are trying to be healthier and adopting a lot of their suggestions. It is basically a vegan lifestyle, but also cuts out refined sugar (and artificial sweeteners) and other things. We really weren't eating much meat anyway and trying to make healthy choices already (obviously, we weren't having coffee, cigarettes, or alcohol or soda or milk, so we were halfway there), so it's not a huge leap, but it will take continued discipline. We're not going to be crazy extreme about it, we are just trying to head in the right direction. The no meat, dairy, eggs part throws some people, but all I can say is, if I were living in a day and age and country of small farms, humane treatment of farm animals it would be different, but food production is ridiculously scary - the amounts of hormones, chemicals and filth in the animal product we eat is inexcusable and it terrifies me to think of putting these things in my body - the diseases and cancers are overwhelming from the nastiness that is animal food production. That and the inhumane, purely evil and heartless treatment of farm animals makes the decision feel necessary. So, I'm not trying to preach at all, I'm just briefly explaining where our change of habits is coming from. Skinny Bitch really is an insightful book and I recommend it - whether or not you decide to make all the changes they suggest doesn't matter, it's still information which is good to know. Every individual has to decide what works for them. We are in a period of adjustment. So far so good. This last week we've made some great food and we feel good - but I'm sure we'll have some hard moments ahead. But even if we're not perfect, I'm glad we're headed in a good direction.

Phew, this entry is much longer than I anticipated. Here's to the Hertfords becoming skinny and healthy in 2009!

3 comments:

Doug & Stef said...

Good Luck in this new endeavor :) maybe it will help avoid the yucky flu :) It was fun to see you!

Ben and Darci said...

What do you mean "becoming" skinny in 2009? You have been skinny for a very long time! But I admire your commitment to get really healthy. The sad thing is that while I read your post I was drinking Diet Coke (best friend for life) and eating a cinnamon roll. Hmmmm. But I am also trying since I don't want to be a hippo by the end of this pregnancy!

Heidi said...

Well, thanks, Darc for the support, that made me laugh that you were drinking diet coke and eating a cinnamon roll - don't worry I still like my desserts - just trying to find better options. Who knows what I'll eat when I'm pregnant!

And thank you, Stefanie for the support as well!